The Case for Database Driven Marketing
Is your company considering a database driven direct marketing campaign, either through the Internet or the mail? I’ve been receiving a lot of inquiries about this type of marketing tactic, but see that the marketing people are sometimes having a hard time getting executive management on board with the idea. If you need some help making your case, here are a list of benefits you can point out that may sway opinion.
1. Marketing funds are spent cost effectively because they are concentrated on current customers and best prospects. It’s a targeted, rather than shot gun approach. This is where you’ll receive your best ROI.
2. Direct marketing, particularly through email, is one of the most cost effective forms of marketing communications. Compared to print advertising and trade shows, it’s a downright bargain.
3. Your company can improve its relationship with customers which increases customer loyalty. It’s important for companies who sell through dealers or manufacturers’ reps to build good relationships with end-users of their products in addition to the relationships established between the dealers and end-users.
4. The results from most database marketing activities are measurable. This is appealing to execs who are being increasingly asked for concrete results from their marketing initiatives . . . “We spent $5,000 on our email marketing campaign last quarter and the ROI ratio was 12 to 1.”
5. Different types of offers and communication styles can be tested to see which are the most effective. What you learn from one test can be used to improve on the next effort.
6. Database marketing communications can be personalized for individuals in such a way that they speak directly to the needs and interests of each person. This increases the appeal and effectiveness of the communication.
7. Specific offers or promotions can be directed at certain groups of prospects or industries without having to make the same pitch to everyone. Especially with email marketing, the communications can be highly targeted and customizable and still be very cost effective.
In this time when budgets are being slashed and companies are fighting for every customer, keeping your name out there has never been more important. Direct marketing can be a much more economic way to do that.